information for transformational people

Apprentice 246Children’s or Youth Work Apprenticeships 

The Diocese of London currently take advantage of the Government's Apprenticeship Programme for Children’s and Youth Work apprentices. 

The current total to 12 apprentices are now stationed across the Diocese in local parishes. Over the next three years, each apprentice will gain experience in youth and children’s ministry on their parish placement, while developing confidence and skills through their academic training.

I'm wondering if churches across the UK realise that this scheme is an option for children and youth workers? The Government part-fund costs and the apprentice must receive training towards vocational qualifications from a recognised provider. This is a devolved service so there will be different rules in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. 

Watch this 1 min video:

Taking the scheme in England as an example, let's dig down into the detail:

To employ an apprentice, you need to check and meet the following terms and conditions:

Your apprentice should:

  • be 16 years old or older; they can be a new or current employee
  • work enough paid hours each week to undertake sufficient training to achieve their apprenticeship

They base the minimum duration of each apprenticeship on an apprentice working 30 paid hours a week or more. This includes any off-the-job training they do.

You must:

  • give your apprentice a contract of employment which is at least long enough to allow them to complete their apprenticeship successfully
  • pay the cost of your apprentice’s wages; you should pay them at least the national minimum wage consistent with the law for the time they are in work and in off-the-job training
  • give your apprentice a job role (or roles) that enables them to gain the knowledge, skills and behaviours they need to achieve their apprenticeship
  • allow your apprentice to combine learning in the workplace with formal off-the-job training which usually takes place outside the normal working environment

For some apprenticeships your apprentice may need to combine work with study for a work-based qualification from GCSE (or equivalent) up to degree level.

If you don’t pay the Government's Apprenticeship Levy (for employers over £3m in size), you won’t need to use the apprenticeship service to pay for apprenticeship training and assessment until a later date. They will ask you to make a 10% contribution to the cost of apprenticeship training and government will pay the remaining 90% up to a maximum amount of funding allowed for the apprenticeship you have chosen. You will have to meet, in full, any cost (including for end-point assessment) which is above the funding band maximum. You will pay your contribution to your training provider over the lifetime of the apprenticeship.

Youth Work Apprenticeship details are here

Level 3 (equivalent to A levels at grades A to E). Typical length: 12 months. Current funding band: Up to £2,500 per apprentice. Suitable roles for apprentices: Youth Support Worker.
Level 2 (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C). Typical length: 12 months. Current funding band: Up to £1,500 per apprentice. Suitable roles for apprentices: Assistant Youth Support Worker

Children and young people's workforce Apprenticeship details are here.

Level 2 (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C). Typical length: 12 months. Current funding band: Up to £2,000 per apprentice. Suitable roles for apprentices; Assistant Youth Support and Community Worker, Care Worker/ Care Assistant. Early Years Worker/ Early Years Assistant.

More details of the Diocese of London initiative are here.

Key site for Northern Ireland. Youth Work is here and here. Children's Care, Learning and Development is here and here

Key site for Scotland. Youth Work is here. Children and Young People is here

Key site for Wales

NB A contact has let me know that there are currently new standards being developed by the Institute for Apprenticeships (not yet published). These can be found here.  The National Youth Agency are also exploring whether they can develop a Trailblazer Youth Work Apprenticeship.

Retweet about this article:



To submit a story or to publicise an event please contact us. Sign up for email here.